when you start teaching sound letter association, there are certain things you need to keep in mind:
- teach consonant sounds first
- teach bothways- from letter to sound and from sound to letter (b is ब and ब is b)
- teach only the most common sounds of vowels (eg, a of cat and not of ball)
- teach only the hard sounds of the consonants (c of cat and not of city, g of gun and not of gem)
- use multi-sensory methods to teach, instead of relying only on paper-pencil method. use sandpaper tracing, stencil tracing, sand tracing, letter making with noodles, dough, clay etc, while the child is learning the sound of that letter.
- use multiple words for a letter, all with the same sound.
- use words that the child is more familiar with, and not the less familiar ones(eg, balloon and not baboon, cat and not cactus)